Caring for sensitive skin is a difficult task. It's made more difficult when it comes to finding makeup that won't aggravate or flare-up the skin. However, there are simple tips to follow that will make this an easier process.
1. Determine the type of sensitive skin from which you suffer.
- Naturally Sensitive are for those that were born with the sensitivity
- Reactive Skin becomes sensitive due to products, foods, or environmental conditions.
- Acne-Prone Skin requires finding the correct remedy for your skin to combat acne
2. Consider your skin type (Dry, Oily, or Combination) which will help you find the correct products to use and the best methods for your skin.
3. Ingredients to Avoid in Make-Up Products.
- Fragrance and fragrance-like ingredients, such as ethylene brassylate, linalool, and limonene
- Preservatives, such as methylisothiazolinone and methylcholorisothiazoline
4. Preparation is key.
- Use a gentle cleanser with natural ingredients.
- For Dry Skin: La Roche-Posay Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser (6.76 oz/ 200 ml) - $23.99
- For Oily Skin: La Roche-Posay Effaclar Deep Cleansing Foaming Cream (4.2 fl oz/ 125 ml) - $22.99
- For Combination Skin: La Roche-Posay Toleriane Purifying Foaming Cleanser (13.52 fl oz/ 400 ml) - $14.99
- For Dry Skin: La Roche-Posay Toleriane Double Repair Moisturizer (2.5 fl oz/ 75 ml) - $19.99
- For Oily Skin: La Roche-Posay Effaclar MAT Daily Moisturizer (1.35 fl oz/ 40 ml) - $31.99
- For Combination Skin: La Roche-Posay Toleriane Ultra (1.35 fl oz/ 40 ml) - $36.99
- Prime your entire face and eyes:
5. Apply Foundation.
- For Dry Skin: La Roche-Posay Toleriane Teint Hydrating Water-Cream Foundation (1.0 fl oz/ 30 ml) - $25.00
- For Oily Skin: La Roche-Posay Effaclar BB Blur SPF 20 (1.0 fl oz/ 30 ml) - $29.99
- For Combination Skin: La Roche-Posay Toleriane Teint Mattifying Mousse Foundation (1.0 fl oz/ 30 ml) - $30.00
6. Take care around the eyes.
- CLEAN your brushes regularly
- REPLACE your products frequently
- EYE SHADOWS: Use creamy eye shadows that won't flake. Avoid: powder and/or glittery eye shadows.
- EYE LINER: Avoid lining the inner eyes:
- MASCARA: Focus on allergy-tested, fragrance-free and ophthalmologist-tested:
- For Thin & Short Lashes: La Roche-Posay Respectissime Extension Length & Curl Mascara (Black) - $25.00
- For Thin & Straight Lashes: La Roche-Posay Respectissime Waterproof Extreme Hold Mascara (Black) - $25.00
- EYEBROWS: For those with thin/ light-colored eyebrows, try La Roche-Posay Respectissime Eyebrow Pencil - $17.00
7. Ingredients to avoid in lip care products:
- VITAMIN E, LANOLIN, FRAGRANCE, & FLAVOR are prevalent allergens
- CASTOR OIL IS Derived from the seeds of the Ricinus communis plant, which is comprised of about 80 to 90 percent ricinoleic acid that can cause chapped and inflamed lips
- BEESWAX is commonly mixed with propolis glue that causes peeling lips
- CHEMICAL SUNSCREENS cause chronic chapping
8. Don't forget to take your make-up off at the end of the day.